Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Looking On The Bright Side


Well, we're back from "vacation" -- of course I had two back to back so I should be completely refreshed, right? My attitude should be impeccable and my spirit patient......well, after my first trip maybe. I spent four wonderful days with a friend who had moved away to Georgia seven years ago - a complete and total break and it just couldn't have been better!

And last Tuesday we left to go to my mom's summer spot in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida. The trip down was SO much better than I expected -- John Brady was a complete angel on the way down there -- it was the youngest (NC) and the oldest (YJr) who were harder to deal with: one asking if we were there yet every 5-10 minutes literally (NC) and the other trying to hold us to a specific time that we'd be in certain cities (YJr) --- and then we got caught on a bridge with a big wreck and that delayed our trip for another hour......but thanks to in-car DVD players and "new" movies rented from the library, they were distracted and entertained for the most part.

And on the even brighter side: At one point on the trip John Brady said: I need a chewy tube, or I'm gonna have to grind my teeth or bite something!!!

Why is this a "bright side" -- because he could communicate his need and how it was going to make him act. This is a HUGE bright side!!! :)

So, we arrived at the actual beach with about an hour or so left of sunlight and there was a beautiful sandbar and cousins they don't see very often, so the kids played and played and didn't notice how oogy the sand made them feel. And this was the situation for almost half the day on Wednesday. Then John Brady realized that the sun was bright, his skin was burning and this sand stuff is for the birds!!! Actually, all three kids were tired of it and thankfully enjoyed themselves and one another just lying around watching The Disney Channel, Animal Planet and some supervised Nickelodeon!!!

A few times we had to make them come down to the beach and on another bright side: We had some crackers for snacks down there one day and my mom offered John Brady a few; his reply: I can't because I will want to throw them at the birds and I shouldn't do that.

So, again he recognized something he really wanted to do and that it might get him into some trouble!!!

On another bright side - the boys got along SOOOO well!!! Perhaps they were mesmerized by shows they don't get to watch at home since we don't have cable, or toys that I had secretly packed away for them that they discovered only every once in a while......but whatever it was, it was wonderful!!!

There's so much more I could share, but for now, I need to ice a birthday cake for a GREAT friend who turns 40 today!!!

No comments: