Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Just Summer


Well it looks like we may be de-contaminated tomorrow!!! We could be on our way to spending time with other people!!!!! WOO HOO!!!

Yancey Jr has been going to camp at Seeker's Springs this week and says the only thing better is DisneyWorld!!!

John Brady and Nancy Claire are stuck with momma but seem to be having fun. They do miss their brother every day, though.

So much has gone on in the last few days, some things I have had to get down and dirty and learn - God's really teaching me some important lessons, even some that I am kicking and screaming about learning. The message at church on Sunday was SPECIFICALLY meant for me. It was incredible and moving. Then we found out that Saturday night there was a pretty bad car accident and one of the cars wrecked into my dad's office building. Outside doesn't look so bad, but the inside is really messed up. Sound familiar? Yes, it does (pot calling kettle black). So it tells me two important things - that building, though a huge part of our lives with our dad, is not a monument/memorial to him and it may be extremely painful to have it desecrated in any way, it's just a building. He's not there - kind of the same thing going on with the actual grave and headstone issue!

The other thing is that it's time for us to start packing up the remaining pieces of dad's life and bringing them to a close - that doesn't mean we're "moving on" - I don't think you reach a point where you feel "It's time to move on" when your parent dies. It means there are some business things we need to wrap up and take care of that will make it easier for us to deal with other issues as they arise. His birthday and the anniversary of his death will be smoother for us to deal with if we aren't in a big brooha ha with someone over some piece of buisiness. We all mourn differently at differnt times and in different ways, but we all need the ability to do that without something new swinging in our face every few weeks.

So many of those things don't matter when your eight year old wants some time with you, or your four year old wants to show you the AMAZING thing he made with his new legos, or your almost 3 year old wants you to sit down and read her Fancy Nancy for the 112th time. Everyday life is what matters - the lessons I teach our children about life and love and loss are important.

It's nice to have clean floors (thank you, Yancey for working so hard and vacuuming tonight), and its nice to have a clean counter-top to walk in to set my stuff down on, and I'm glad I remembered to make the bed today, etc. But what really matters is that when our children want some face time with us, we give it to them because as little Yancey said last week "Mom, every second counts". Every Second Counts - Every Second Counts - what am i doing with my seconds? Am I doing what God wants me to do with the time He gives me? Am I doing it to excellence or am I just getting by with the basics because I am focusing my time on something else?

It's a Wonderful Life - It's the Perfect Day - will I just see it and stop focusing on the things that won't matter at all in eternity, but focus on the things that matter now and will matter then, too.

These precious smiles - they matter EVERY day, and most days they matter EVERY hour of every day.

Pray for our continued recovery - we're lookig forward to going to church tomorrow night!!!

No comments: