Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chocolate Milk

Okay, this is perhaps the oddest of entires ever - I have this child who for almost four years now has rarely wanted anything to drink except chocolate milk. This same child ate nothing but oatmeal cream pies for about 9 months - and before you go dissing my nutritional maternal instincts, when you have a child with "sensory issues" and "resistance to any change", you'll feed them what they'll eat. Anyway, I can't tell you how many times I have cringed to realize we're about out of chocolate syrup, or milk - or that the drive-thru we're in doesn't have chocolate milk. (Really, don't criticize my caving in to the child's wants until you've experienced the life).
So, as I always do, it's a race in the morning to get the chocolate milk ready before he asks, sitting right there so that before the words come out of his mouth, it's ready and waiting. And that's what I did this morning, just as in the past almost four years.
So imagine my utter surprise, disbelief, jaw-dropping shock when he takes a sip and says "Yuck! Chocolate Milk?! I don't like chocolate milk. Can I have some water?"
No, you can't imagine it.....In fact,I am quite sure my husband and all of our relative will think I am making this up. But I'm not. Of course, I can't help but wonder what he'll want to drink tomorrow morning, but all day today it's been water. Which makes me look like a superior nutritional mom!!!! (As my three year old sips my left-over coke from lunch.....)
When he stops asking for peanut butter and honey sandwiches for lunch, then I'll mark a date on the calendar. And please pray that this peanut butter fiasco doesn't extend to our peanut butter or I'll really be in trouble.
I must go begin getting ready for my INCREDIBLE evening - my mom and I are going out to celebrate "Adoption Day" - it's not really the day I was adopted, but the day I came home from the hospital with them. We go out alone every year for this, and though it was Monday, tonight is the first night this week we've had the chance to go. So we're going out for a really delicious meal and back to her house to watch a girl movie by the fireplace.....I better take my coat, my mom doesn't turn on the heat at her house, buuuurrrrrrrrrr

No comments: